Bike: Printing + Quicklook + thumbnails

Bike Outliner now supports printing! It also adds quicklook previews and icon thumbnails for your .bike files in the Finder.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hogbaysoftware.com/posts/bike-printing-quicklook-thumbnails/
1 Like

Printing! I feel like a responsible Mac developer again. Now to figure out what I’ll be working on for the next release.

tags? :slight_smile:

I don’t think I’m quite ready for tags. To be really useful I need to filter outline based on them, and to do that I need to decide and implement query language.

I think the next big feature that I’ll tackle is row types, so headings, separators. Maybe also different list types and tasks.

Right now I’m trying to decide if I should start that or if I should do a release of bug fixes and smaller features. I also have a bunch of Shortcuts code that I’ve written, but need to finish up and integrate into app.

2 Likes

OK, I confess I didn’t have time to test things in the Preview version. But in the released version: When I go to print the first time after opening a document, everything works fine–including using focus. However, subsequent attempts to print almost always result in only the top outline level in the current view printing. To get expected printing behavior, I have to first close and then reopen the document.

Including with print to PDF ?

I don’t think I’m seeing this.

one
    two
        three
        four
            five
    six

Given the above outline are you saying if you zoom into “two” then print then “five” won’t print? Note that printing takes collapsed state into account, are you sure items just aren’t collapse?

Thanks for pointing this out and sending example document. I think this is now fixed in 1.10.1 (Preview). Please test it out and let me know:

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

1 Like

QuickLook previews? I think that was something I asked for so … woohoo! And thank you.

1 Like

Expand/Collapse to level X? My most-wished-for missing feature. So useful.

Not yet, but it’s on my list.

Exciting. I’ve enjoyed your work ever since Hog Bay Notebook. :slight_smile:

Yes, tasks. I’m still using TaskPaper. Would be nice to consolidate into one app.

Also, maybe a bit more control over printing. Smaller font sizes is all I really need.

Hi,

I have enjoyed using the Bike Outliner since I bought it a month ago. Adding to the Printing function, I’m wondering if there is any setting allowing me to set text size just when printing?

Currently, I am changing the default text size to the smallest whenever I need to print a physical copy. It would be handy to have this setting if it’s not already covered somewhere via maybe scripting.

Thank you!

I’m glad you are enjoying Bike!

There’s currently no way to have a separate setting for printing. I will eventually get to that, but want to implement stylesheets first, and then will allow you to specify a stylesheet for printing. Might still be a while.

1 Like

Sounds good! looking forward to that, also super excited about the iOS version + iCloud Drive which I imagine will come with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes