Bike 1.7 Preview (90)

Thanks for taking a look!

This is true except it doesn’t come into play when typing space after any word, it’s only when typing space after a word that is incorrect and then gets autocorrected. This case is clearly indicated because the previous word will have a blue underline.

I agree it’s still an odd UI state, but for my own use it doesn’t come up that often and when it does I see it clearly indicated.

Few thoughts on a fix:

1. I’m happy to make this delete shortcut an option in preferences.
  2. You can already use Command-Z to undo the last correction. The behavior is better than text edit since it only undoes the correction, it doesn’t undo the text that you entered to cause the correction. This doesn’t solve the problem with delete, I just mean undo is already implemented.
  3. Before I make any changes can you try out Google Docs and see if you run into the same problem there? That’s where I got the idea for Delete to undo a correction. I think Bike acts the same way, but maybe the do something to avoid this problem?

I agree it’s still an odd UI state, but for my own use it doesn’t come up that often and when it does I see it clearly indicated.

You’re right about the frequency in English, I haven’t noticed that state when writing down my outlines in EN. Once I switched to Polish (or even German) though, my frustration began to grow. There are way more commas in use there, I think.

1. I’m happy to make this delete shortcut an option in preferences.

I’d love that. Thanks!

You can already use Command-Z to undo the last correction

This is excellent, works exactly like I would expect standard apps to work like! I should have tested it myself, sorry.

That’s where I got the idea for Delete to undo a correction. I think Bike acts the same way

I didn’t know that. Indeed, it seems to be the same behavior and I don’t like in Google Docs either :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for trying it there. I’ll make it a preference then.

1 Like

One more thought… maybe you already know, but autocorrect happens when you end a word in any manner, not just when you end with a space. So if you enter a comma to start with then autocorrect will run and you won’t need to go back and add the comma.

I’ll still make delete to revert the autocorrect an option, just wanted to be sure you knew that you didn’t need to add space if you really wanted to have a comma.

if you enter a comma to start with then autocorrect will run and you won’t need to go back and add the comma

Yup, thanks. My problem affects cases where I forgot to put comma (or quickly decided to begin a subordinate clause which has to be separated by a comma).

Actually I was wrong. For me the above only works if I use .dict. Maybe a Ventura difference? I have no idea, but only dict seems to work for me with the above text.

1 Like

An older macOS here – 11.7, so perhaps a .plist.dict change in one of the intervening versions ?

Just came from the thread on text replacements!

Sadly it doesn’t seem to work on my system, although maybe I’ve configured something wrong? Here’s a video: https://jyc-static.com/1456259dd4fbad65c99e1c98a774c6376d452e6fad6f857cb7a059a4024785a3

No, just bugs on my part I think. I’ve just been testing with omw and zzz default replacements. My code is tripping on your replacements since they have word boundaries. I will try to get fixed for next release.

No worries! Still very exciting. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like

I’ve added a preference for this.

These issues should be fixed in Bike 1.7 Preview (91)

Perfect, many thanks!

I noticed a small typo in the prefs pane: “This can be a little easier then using…”

1 Like