Bike 1.18.1 (173)

• Fixed document auto-name from outline content

Previously:

• Added Bike specific iCloud drive folder
  • Fixed pasting Hookmark links into plain text outline

To get preview releases through Bike’s software update select: Bike > Preferences > General > Include “preview” releases. Or download directly from Bike’s releases page:

2 Likes

I interpret this as a sign for iOS app.

:slight_smile: Getting there… I’ve promised to start working on iOS this spring… which is, yikes, SOON.

1 Like

This works like a dream @jessegrosjean I just have to remember to pull all my stray Bike files into the new folder. Good addition to the app.

1 Like

I found that “auto-name ‘Untitled’ documents based on first sentence” feature doesn’t work after this update. I have attach a screen recording (.gif) for your reference. (Bike 1.18.1 Preview (172), macOS Sonoma 14.4)

Bike 1.18.1 preview (172) auto-name doesn't work

Good catch, thanks. Apparently now that iCloud Documents is enabled there’s a different code path for saving which broke this. It seems I can mostly fix, but not completely. The difference after my partial fix will be:

1. In old implementation the title would change until you finally manually saved.
  2. In new documents iCloud implementation the title only updates until first autosave.

I liked old behavior better, but I don’t see any way to solve, most of NSDocument is a black box and I just have to go with the behavior that it provides.

1 Like

I’ve just posted preview 173 which should fix auto-name of documents, though the behavior is changed. Auto-naming only happens until the first time document is autosaved now.

1 Like

After updating to 1.18.1 (173), I noticed that whenever I try to save a file to an iCloud Drive folder (created well before Bike has its own iCloud Drive folder), there is a good chance that the beachball will appear, forcing me to quit the app abruptly and resulting in the loss of the file’s content.

Since most of time I save my Bike files to that (old) iCloud Drive folder, I’m not sure if this issue also happens on the local drive. This issue occurs frequently in both macOS Sonoma 14.4 and 14.4.1.

After updating to 1.18.1 (173), I noticed that whenever I try to save a file to an iCloud Drive folder (created well before Bike has its own iCloud Drive folder), there is a good chance that the beachball will appear, forcing me to quit the app abruptly and resulting in the loss of the file’s content.

Hum… I was afraid of touching iCloud by (by adding iCloud Drive folder) because bad things always happen when I say “iCloud”. Grrr. Few observations:

1. I wasn’t able to replicate the problem.
  2. Then I updated to 14.1 and on restart Bike launched and I got long beachball
  3. The beachball did eventually resolve (after 30 seconds or so) without me having to restart Bike
  4. Now saving/etc seems to be working again without problem.

I’m still thinking about this and am not really sure what is going on. If anyone else has noticed problems, or has ideas, please post!

Thank you, Jesse. If I find something new about this issue, I will post it.

For me I saw a beachball right after upgrading macOS and on first restart. Since then I haven’t seen any beachballs.

When you say “save” do you mean only when saving a new document? Or do you mean it can happen anytime you save any changes?

Also does the problem never happen when you save to Bike’s iCloud Folder? Or do you just not save there often enough to know?

As far as I can remember, it usually happens when I try to save a new file, and today it happened again.

I haven’t tried to save files to Bike’s iCloud Folder many times, maybe less than five. I usually save files to a different iCloud folder that I created earlier.

1 Like

@titan If you haven’t yet can you try the latest preview release and see if it fixes this problem?

Sure. Actually, I’ve been using it for almost one day. So far, so good. I will give it more time and see how things go.

1 Like