WriteRoom and privacy

Hi, I am very pleased with writing in Writeroom.

I’ve just got a new Mac, and when I write in the program, an updated summary appears in the document title. It is a summary of my Danish text—in English—which means that something is reading and translating my Danish text. I thought I had disabled all AI. It is very unsettling that I cannot write in private, even in a simple program like Writeroom How is this possible? How do I keep my writing private?

Best/Jens

This is a new feature of macOS 27, not something that WriteRoom’s code is doing itself. Some related articles:

I think this is happing on the local AI model, not sending your text over network. I think you can disable this feature via:

  • Finder > Settings > General > Suggest file names

Though I’m having a little trouble testing that. I have definitally seen suggested names when I use macOS 27, but at the moment (even with that checkbox checked) I can’t get that behavior to trigger. Hum.

1 Like

Also, I’m looking for testers for WriteRoom 4, if interested please try out WriteRoom 4.0 (Preview 405) and let me know how it goes.