Vim-style bindings

Bike reminds me of Vim. It’s a modal editor. You go into a kind of editing mode in both using Esc and i even triggers Insert mode in Bike. :slight_smile: Why not take this a little further and add Vim-like keybindings.

For example:

• I to insert from start of line
  • A to append from end of line
    hjkl` line navigation
  • < and > for outdenting and indenting

Any one see a problem in these bindings? They could be implemented in user land if Bike could report back to AppleScript which mode it’s currently in.

4 Likes

This is definitely on my wishlist too. I’ve written a bit more about my goals here:

I expect it will be a while before I finish other things that have priority and can work on this, but definitely a goal. I expect it will be implemented in two phases. First a generic multi-keystroke keybinding system so that we can all experiment with different keybindings. Then I’ll decide on a default set of keybindings.

4 Likes

I’ll add my +1 to this. Vim-style keybindings would be great. In addition to mentioned bindings, dd for delete line, jump to top, bottom (like CMD+Up/Down today) etc. Maybe someone here already have a third-party setup for vim keybindings with Bike?