Tag inheritance from project to task (or any parent/child)

Hello,

When I am adding a tag to a project and use it in a search to filter out tasks, I see the tasks in the project except if I am explicitly tagging them as well (same goes for any parent / child relation).
I am expecting and inheritance but may be I am wrong, is this a normal behaviour or a bug ?

Thanks for the great app !
Christian

I am not sure if I understood what you were trying to describe, but I think that by what I understood, you just need to learn how to better use the “Item Paths” part of your query. Here is the part in the documentation that talks about it. I could also help you get it figure it out if you can post an example of sorts.

Like Victor, I have some difficulty to clearly understand what you are trying to describe, but I think you mean when you search for a tag, you only see items that explicitly have the tag attached to them. I mean, if you set the tag to a parent and search for the tag, you only get the parent and not the children, but you would like to get the children as well… is that it ?

If so, for example, if you want to see items that have a specific tag, for example, the @today tag. Then you just need to search for @today

Parent:
    - item 1 @today
    - item 2

You would get

Parent:
    - item 1 @today

However, if you want to get the children of a parent that is tagged with @today, you would then need to search for @today//*

Parent 1:
    - item 1
    - item 2

Parent 2: @today
    - item 1
    - item 2

You would get:

- item 1
    - item 2

Now if you want both (unique item that are tagged with @today and children of a parent that is tagged with @today), then you would search for @today union @today//*

With:

Parent 1:
    - item 1
    - item 2 @today

- item 1
    - item 2

You would get:

Parent 1:
    - item 2 @today

- item 1
    - item 2

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Did you know about the descendant-or-self /// axis? You can accomplish the same thing as

@today union @today//*

with

@today///*

2 Likes

Thanks Victor, no didn’t know that 3 slashes is for descendant-or-self. I searched for this this week and found out @today union @today//* was working for what I wanted to, but I prefer it to be shorter with @today///* . Thanks for that!

1 Like

Thanks a lot, it seems to be it even though I will have to find out how to use it in a complex query but I tried a simple case and it behaves as I would expect.

Sorry I had to ask when it’s in the doc but I was a little confused about the //* concept apparently :wink:

1 Like