Spaces between lines get bigger or smaller when I hit Return

I’ve run into a little problem in longer TaskPaper documents, where if I hit Return, the spaces between other lines on the page get slightly bigger or smaller. It creates a weird optical effect where it looks like all the text on the screen is moving when I hit Return.

I have this problem on my 2013 iMac (that’s a pre-Retina model) but I don’t think I’ve run into the same problem on my 2016 Retina MacBook Pro. However, I don’t have a similar problem in any other text applications on the iMac, so I think it may be a problem in TaskPaper itself. I have tried uninstalling TaskPaper and all its associated files and folders, and reinstalling, but that didn’t stop it.

I’m wondering if I’m the only one this affects, and if there’s any way to fix it. Thanks.

Can you capture a screencast of this that will give me a better idea of what it looks like exactly?

screencast.mov.zip (3.9 MB)

Here you go! I put it in a ZIP file since the .mov extension isn’t supported here. Thanks.

Is this with a custom stylesheet? If so can you reproduce the problem with the default stylesheet?

Yes, I did try with the default stylesheet and had the same problem. would you like a new screencast?

No, that’s Ok.

What version of macOS is this on? In the end I think it’s unlikely that I’ll come up with a solution. This appears to be similar to a layout problem with CJK characters that I never could solve, deep in Apple’s NSTextView code. But it would be nice if I could somehow figure out how to reproduce.

I have a two screen setup. One side retina, one side not. I’m trying to reproduce on the “not” side, but am not seeing the problem.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

I’m using the latest version of Mojave: 10.14.3 (18D42)