Search Strings with/without Project names

I have already learned how to create search strings in an earlier forum… I have a new question, can I either include - or exclude a specific project title from a search? If so, what should the wording be? And if not (why not?) Something to add to the wish list. :wink:

Trying …
TESTING @search(@done in Project “The Rest of It”)
TESTING @search(@done in Project (The Rest of It))
TESTING @search(@done and “The Rest of It”)

Thanks

Yes here the most concise way:

project The Rest of It//@done

That expands to (so you can see a bit more of what’s going on):

@type = project and @text contains The Rest of It//@done

@jessie It has taken a while to get back to this (sorry). I am again testing the answer you offered to my OP and I don’t think that is doing it. My goal is to set up a search string like:

Proj Tasks @search(@type = project and @text contains The Rest of It)

And have the search be, in this case, all tasks in the project named "The Rest of It:"
You suggested: “@type = project and @text contains The Rest of It//@done”.

I am dropping the @done as Project specific items that are done will be in archive.

I am trying to get all Tasks on all levels which occur inside of a named project.

How do I use syntax to get this result? By using parens can I tell the formula to act like an equation and do one part before the next part? Can it be done?

Trying:
Proj Tasks @search(@type = project and @text contains The Rest of It and @type = task)
Proj Tasks @search(@type = project and @text contains The Rest of It)

Is there any way you can create an example file. I might be able to help, but I can’t visualize what you need. If you do that, I will also explain the process.

[quote=“Victor, post:4, topic:2269, full:true”]
Is there any way you can create an example file. I might be able to help, but I can’t visualize what you need. If you do that, I will also explain the process.
[/quote] I can try … maybe I can explain it a little better first?

I have a project area called “The Rest of It:” Within that Project area I have several sub sets of tasking. One is for medical issues I have been working on. One is about a move I have to make after this month. One is for important tasks just to take care of life.

It makes sense to have all of these projects separated by sub area, Medical, Moving, etc. But this idea I am asking about is searching for any tasks which are in the Project “The Rest of It:” . I am sure once I learn how to write this I could think of other uses for it down the road. Right now I am thinking it would be helpful to have a second way of viewing all I have to do as one big list of tasks.

The idea is simple enough, however the syntax work (if it allows this). Inside the Project “The Rest of It”, show me all the tasks (on all levels, as long as they are tasks).

Okay, here is my recreation.

Projects:
	Subprojects:
		- Tasks
		- Tasks
		- Tasks
		- Tasks
	Subprojects:
		- Tasks
		- Tasks
	Subprojects:
		Subproject includes rest:
			- Tasks
			- Tasks
			- Tasks
	The Rest of It:
		- Tasks
		- Tasks @done
		- Tasks
		Medical Issues:
			- Tasks
			- Tasks @done
			- Tasks
		Move:
			- Tasks @done
			- Tasks
			- Tasks
		Important:
			- Tasks @done
			- Tasks
			- Tasks
		Subprojects: @done
			- Tasks
			- Tasks

Since you just want to have a project that starts with “The Rest of It”, you can start by typing, rest and your project will appear. I included another project with the word “rest” to illustrate that if you want to be more specific, you can type rest of it and you will only get the project you want. Now, if you want to add the children, just type, rest of it/* If you want to see the children and everything below, then type rest of it//*

Now, you also don’t want to have the @done tasks. I would just type,

rest of it//* except @done

By doing that, you need to realize that you are saying that you want a project/task/note that includes “rest of it” and all its children but you don’t want the projects/tasks/notes that are tagged as “done”. The engine is still showing some things with “@done” because the children are not tagged with done. If you want to say that once the parent is tagged with “@done” all the children below are therefore considered done; so that you don’t want to see it, just tell it to the engine like this.

rest of it//* except @done///*

Notice that I put three forward slashes. This is because the last slash tells the engine that not only you want the children and all the descendants (two slashes), but you also want the object itself. Therefore the third slash. See if that works. Play around with the engine. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I appreciate what you have done. I have more than one Project for getting things done however. But I only have one area that I want to track as active tasks. My example is below although as I now reflect on it, I believe that what I want to do has already been ruled out by Jessie.

What I want is to search in a specific project and see what is left to be done in that project alone. I wanted a list of tasks to be done, better if sorted by tags (priorities). I believe Jessie has already weighed in that he does not like seeing just a task but that it must also have a project above it. I just wanted to see a list of tasks (under a certain area) and now I remember, that just isn’t going to be possible.

1 - The Rest of It:

Medical:
        - Primary scheduling of Physical Therapy
        - Waiting for call from Clinic
        - Emily, Social Worker 

Back X-rays:
            - Need to follow up to help read old x-rays
            - I don't need an appointment. Drop by before 4:30 

Getting On With it:
            - Passport: 
                - Passport photo 
                - Fresh haircut
                - Get photo
                - Travel to PO on Wyoming
                - Pay and you are done.

- iMac Back to Apple for warranty
            - Contact Cupertino about problems then take Mac to Apple store again.
            - Make Genius Bar apt.
            - Take it in.

- Laundromat @taskA  @focus
            - Keep quarters on hand for laundry.

- Call CenturyLink to make transfer ready.
        - CenturyLink: purchase a modem online

Move Out: @taskA @focus @due(2016-10-01)
        - Find a new place to live 
        - Encino looks good. Follow up Belin too. Keep after North Carolina.
        - Contact all friends about situations 
        - Pack up the apartment - Room by room
        - Money to move, pay deposit. 
        - Make arrangements to Fix wall @schedule
        - Get tight with filing and with tasks not done so I don't cary the stress in boxes

2 - Research:

- Research Topic A
        - Task 1
        - Task 2
        - Task 3

- Research Topic B
        - Task 1
        - Task 2
        - Task 3

3 - Learning:

- Learning Topic A
        - Task 1