Scripters... what is the standard way to run scripts from within an app?

App Store review is rejecting the latest TaskPaper update because of the “Open Scripts Folder” button in TaskPaper’s preferences. The complaint is:

Guideline 2.4.5(ii) - Performance

Your app installs code in shared locations.

Specifically, Preferences > Open Scripts Folder asks the user to directly install scripts.

Is there some other way that apps are doing this now?

Specifically TaskPaper wants to be able to run user scripts so that it can place those scripts in the Commands pallet, and run them when selected.

There must be other apps on the App Store that can run user scripts? How do they work? How do they show you where to put your scripts so that they have permission to run those scripts?

Thanks!

Is this relevant I’m not sure it says it was published in 2014 Scripting from a Sandbox - objc.io

Thanks and yes that’s where I got my current behavior:

It’s a very wild guess but you could try moving the open folder action into the Tools menu, it sounds to me they don’t like it being a button in the preferences. But I obviously don’t know anything special but I read app store review was particularly legalistic.

Thanks again. I’ve written back for clarification (which in the past has resulting in them just sending the exact same note :slight_smile: ) … but we’ll see I guess. I was mostly just wondering if there was some standard way to get to that folder in the macOS UI that I wasn’t aware of.

Next release of TaskPaper is approved now… I haven’t released it yet so not quite on App Store yet. But apparently they were just confused by the feature and thought it was doing something that it wasn’t doing. Feature is still there and unchanged.

4 Likes

Hooray!

1 Like

Sorry I am “late to the plate” in this discussion. Maybe you have already resolved this? The only app I currently use that makes good use of scripting is Typinator. I did a quick mock up to show how Typinator uses script access in at least two ways. The first method I show as “A” is the one I have used most often. Open “Includes” means, open the folder where there are a bunch of javascripts that you can edit and put the name of the script into a typinator line or “include” the name of that script in a Typinator line.

There is also an inline script menu item in the third box (B) that shows many types of scripts. I have not used this feature very much so I can’t comment on it.

One other things about Typinator is that it is one of those apps that runs from the menubar and not like Typinator or other apps. I forget the term for this but, Typinator runs on active system resources all the time rather than only when it gets launched as TaskPaper does. Yes, you can still quit it but when it is running, it is still associated directly with system resources.

This is one of the many reasons I like Typinator so much more than TextExpander that I used to use. Typinator, aside for having a lot of features, is very stable. My experience with TextExpander was that it behaved more like a standard app that was always trying to grab system resources in the midst of doing something to text and frankly, at least in my experience, crashed far too much. Typinator is very stable and it rarely crashes. But, I digress. I hope this helps.

1 Like