Row insertion cursor freezes sometimes when dragging/dropping files

Hi, Today I was trying to drag some files from Finder to insert links in an outline. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. One think I noticed was that after trying to do so, the row insertion cursor would sometimes freeze, as pictured below:

It stays like that on the screen until I restart Bike. I can still type and preform some other tasks, but the text insertion cursor/caret also doesn’t show.

It seems like a similar issue to this post: Link opening permissions for local file:// links - #4 by complexpoint

Update: I meant to say that the files I tried linking to were text files and keynote files. The same thing happens some times when dragging a proxy icon into the outline.

1 Like

Also, I’m using Bike 1.18 (166) on macOS 14.1.1.

Sometimes I forget the obvious. :slight_smile:

Thanks, this is a bug that I can reproduce and have known about for quite a while… and still need to fix. Thanks for reminder, hopefully I can track down this time.

1 Like

Thanks! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help test.

I’m not certain if something changed in OS, but I’m no longer able to reproduce this bug on 14.2.1 (23C71) using Bike 167 Preview. Is anyone else able to reproduce it still using latest Bike and latest macOS?

1 Like

I’m not getting this on macOS 14.2.1 either, even with Bike 1.18(166). I just updated to 167 today, and it looks fine too.

1 Like

I can still reproduce the bug on the current release of Bike (166) and macOS 14.2.1. The insertion indicator freezes when the Bike window gains focus and the Finder window loses it. The frozen indicator remains even when I focus in on other parts of the outline that don’t include it, then back out to reveal the part of the outline where the indicator was – it returns.

1 Like

I can confirm this, running 167 and 14.2.1.
It seems to happen when focus is on Finder, then dragging a document into Bike and hovering it there until focus switches to Bike.

CleanShot 2024-01-16 at 10.53.40

1 Like

@cwolverton Thanks, I can reproduce too using your instructions. Will try to fix.

I think this is now fixed in latest preview release:

2 Likes