Option to prefer side scrolling over line breaking/wrapping

I tried hard to see if someone had posted this before. I would like to disable line breaking/wrapping for window width and would instead like to just side scroll long lines. In Emacs this is toggle-truncate-lines. Keywords: line breaks / line wrapping / truncate lines.

1 Like

I’ve added this to my list to look into in the future, though my immediate reaction is I’m not sure it’s worth the extra work / complexity for most users. Can you tell me a bit more about how this can be useful when writing in Bike?

Update

In code editors I generally also don’t disable line wrap, but I kinda see the point, function declarations and code looks pretty ugly when wrapped. For more general text editing it seems to be much less of a problem.

If it’s vertical space that you are after another option that I like better is an option to visually truncate each row to a single line until your text caret enters that row.

Anyway, let me know what you are after.

2 Likes

Yes what I’m after is the vertical space/orderliness of the outline when some rows are much longer than others.

If it’s vertical space that you are after another option that I like better is an option to visually truncate each row to a single line until your text caret enters that row.

This sounds like a great option.

Come to think of it this hasn’t bothered me much in org-mode because there I much more commonly write a heading with a text block below it that is neatly folded away. But in Bike there are no text blocks, so the equivalent would be a single indented child that is folded.

2 Likes