Is it worth while to maintain the distinction between "item" commands and "line" commands?

Right now we have move commands for items and move commands for lines.

The difference is that the “item” variants move the item, together with it’s sublist if present. While the “line” variants move only the selected items, leaving the sublists in place. This is complicated by the fact that the “line” variant will also move the sublist if it’s been collapsed. I think this is to much variation to keep track of.

I think it the “line” variants are most useful for TaskPaper. And you can always replicate the “item” behavior by first selecting the item together with it’s children, and then use the “line” command.

So my vote right now is to just include one set of “move” commands that work on lines.

Thoughts?

Agree, that makes sense and eliminates unnecessary complexity for both you and the user.

I can’t think of scenario where I’d move a line and not want its children moved. Wouldn’t that only happen if you decided a task belonged under another project? Wouldn’t you want all of the dependent tasks to move with it?

1 Like

Logically I agree if you are thinking in a strictly outline sense.

But that was my logic when working on my previous project (FoldingText for Atom) when I decided going the other way and making all moves include children. But when I did that I got lots of pushback that it felt like a constrained no fun outliner, instead of a nice freeform text editor.

If I decided to take the FoldingText for Atom route with TaskPaper (and always include children) I think the complaints would be much louder. Because TaskPaper’s previous move behavior was just to always move lines. And TaskPaper’s UI feels and looks more like a text editor then an outliner. Anyway, I know I can’t go that route :smile:

And truth is I kinda agree with the complaints… Logically it makes more sense to always include children. But my muscle memory and expectation tend more toward expecting standard text editor behavior where lines are not connected. I think it’s easier to understand when the moves are never constrained and when only selected things move.

I’d survive either way. When I use Sublime Text I can’t move children without selecting the lines. Just thinking about the way people use a task planner.