iOS version of Bike?

So, I have to ask if there are plans for a native iOS version of Bike, that syncs with the Mac version.

2 Likes

Right now my focus is on 1.0 release for macOS. Once that’s out (soon I hope, pretty much ready, just waiting for Apple approval) then I’ll likely spend a few weeks on any bugs or small changes that come up. Then it will be time to start next big features.

I don’t know what the priority of iOS will be vrs other features, but iOS is definitely on my list of things that I would like to do. It’s just difficult, because it is also probably the biggest chunk of work.

I think what I will do pretty soon is post a list of all feature areas that I’m thinking about and get feedback from Bike users on what they think is more important.

For my own use I would really like basic rich text editing to be the next thing I work on after 1.0. I also think I should work on accessibility and better integration with macOS text system, so standard macOS replacements and completions work.

After that then I have a big list of other features (iOS included), but without strong priorities, that’s when I’ll really start looking for guidance from Bike users.

3 Likes

Great to hear that an iOS app is in the plans. The iOS apps that read taskpaper syntax never quite worked for me. So having an in-house iOS partner to the Mac app would be fantastic. But I’m even happier to hear that rounding out a few core text features in the Mac app is likely to come first.

On the priority list, a preemptive vote from me for “better integration with macOS text system, so standard macOS replacements and completions work”. From my use, I agree that’s top priority because it rounds out the foundational writing tools in the app. I’m especially missing text replacements, because I am mostly writing scientific text with lots of technical terms and long scientific names, which all sits with easy replacement terms in my text replacements. I can see how rich text fits with that idea of writing tools too, for those that need some formatting.

I’m delighted with Bike as a Mac-only app, and don’t really care that much about iOS compatibility, but I know there are lots of users who do.

For the next version, I’d add a basic Print function. Even though I’m easily able to print using other methods, I know this will be an issue for less-technical users (like my wife :slight_smile: ).

Thanks.

1 Like