iCloud purchase conflicting with previous Preview Version purchase?

Basically, came back from vacation and my preview version “expired.” Got the iCloud version installed but even after trying to open it after throwing out the preview version it keeps telling me that it’s “Expired” and I need to enter an authorization code. Also, nothing shows up in my iCloud Drive folder, whereas with other iCloud-enabled apps related folders show up there instantly even if I haven’t created any relevant docs. I have pictures of TaskPaper 3 in my Launchpad and App Store purchase history if you need them. Thank you.

I think this was due to a bug in the lastest preview version, your license is still valid, you just need to reenter it. You can ask Apple to refund your second order if you already have a Paddle license for the preview version.

I’m not sure what you mean by “iCloud” version… you mean version from Mac App Store? That version “to my knowledge” should never tell you that it’s expired. Are you sure that the version from the Mac App Store is being used and not a direct download version (that uses that separate licensing system that can expire?)

I’m not sure… you should vibe able to save to iCloud Drive … but I’m also not seeing a folder getting created automatically. I’ll look into it… but I am able to save to iCloud drive, I just don’t see a special TaskPaper file being created. Not sure why.

I think this was due to a bug in the lastest preview version, your license is still valid, you just need to reenter it. You can ask Apple to refund your second order if you already have a Paddle license for the preview version.

I can’t, actually; before I was able to select “Show License” from the dropdown menu and it would do just that; now it’s still there, not blacked out, but it does nothing. Since I assumed I’d just be able to get my license from the dropdown menu, I never copied it to 1Password or anything and now it doesn’t function when I select it.

I’m not sure what you mean by “iCloud” version… you mean version from Mac App Store? That version “to my knowledge” should never tell you that it’s expired. Are you sure that the version from the Mac App Store is being used and not a direct download version (that uses that separate licensing system that can expire?)

Yes, the App Store version, sorry; yes I’m sure I’m using that because I threw out all previous versions and the App Store says “3” at the end of the app name whereas the preview version didn’t plus it is in a different location plus I threw out the other app version so minimize the chance of conflicts. Basically I open the Mac App Store version and it tells me that my “trial” has expired and I need to activate my license.

I’m not sure… you should vibe able to save to iCloud Drive … but I’m also not seeing a folder getting created automatically. I’ll look into it… but I am able to save to iCloud drive, I just don’t see a special TaskPaper file being created. Not sure why.

Basically, what is the difference between the App Store and direct from website version is what I’m wondering?

But the main point is that I purchased the preview and App Store versions and now can’t use either; did I misunderstand the preview? I love the app and don’t mind paying the $15 if it went to help development but now I can’t use any version of it and after getting used to the added functionality I don’t see myself going back to previous versions of TaskPaper.

Is there a hidden file somewhere that can be causing the conflict?

Thank you for your time, sorry to get in the way of development time :frowning:

Okay so I managed to find my original email with the activation code for the Preview Version, which shows as “3.5” but now it tells me you are an “unidentified developer” and I have to manually bypass the security settings every time I want to open a document, or leave them open to all apps self-installing? I found a page on the forums where you say that the very latest version has to be manually downloaded, but for some reason my activation license doesn’t work with this manual update, although upon re-entering I was able to “re-activate” the version I already had on my hard drive.

On a side-note, can we go back to the old icon but with maybe a fresh, non-alarming base color like orange or spring green? This new icon style is a bit too white spacey. Or at least make the lettering much thicker and reverse the colors and make the square red and the letters white. Also can you consider making grayed-out dots associated with notes again? This new “stand-alone” style is a bit “loose” considering TaskPaper’s otherwise structured approach. Visually speaking.

But otherwise thank you for being a responsive, concerned developer. And thanks for TaskPaper.

Basically they are the same, here are a few differences notes:

Version 3.5 is still a work in progress. You are welcome (encouraged!) to use it, but it might have issues (like this and others). For a more stable release try the direct download from www.taskpaper.com

With that said I wouldn’t expect to see that error in the most recent “Version 3.5 Preview (258)” release. Is that the version you are using?

Can you tell me the exact error you were experiencing… the license key should work with the latest 3.5 version. You might need to re-enter/activate it. But it should work.

Sorry I like the current icon and don’t expect to make any changes to it.

This is controlled by the current stylesheet, easy to change. Add this to your stylesheet to get the TaskPaper 3.3 behavior:

item {
  handle-border-color: mix(@tint-color, @background-color, 20%);
}

Finally figured it out. When you wrote that the latest build had to be installed manually I thought to just hit the “install and update” button but I went to the website now, downloaded it and since it was now opened as “TaskPaper” instead of “TaskPaper 3” I approved the download and in the process it overwrote my original “TaskPaper” app which was TaskPaper 2, I believe, and now everything seems to just work; I think my TaskPaper 2 app might have been causing some problems; oh well as long as I can open up my old TaskPaper files I’m good.

Thank you for all your help I’ll stop distracting you now.

1 Like