I wish Jesse made all my apps - some appreciation

I don’t think I can come up with a single app that feels as good as Bike. And I’ve also started to find a place for TaskPaper in my life, and that feels great as well!

And it’s bittersweet, because I know Hog Bay Software had to downsize a couple of years ago… So now he has to do everything by himself - while I’m thinking that I wish he (and a team with the same sensibilities) could make all the apps I’m using. :sweat_smile:

I have a friend that has made a (sort of) game engine, that he licenses out to game developers. I wonder if it would’ve been a business in making text rendering engines that could be licensed out! 'Cause, Jesse, yours are the best in the business.

Also, I think FoldingPaper sadly was ahead of its time. Because I think a version of FP, with a library mode, some Smart Folders, etc., would be more popular in an age where PKMs and Zettelkasten are words that more and more know of, and Markdown is more popular than ever. I just love that “everything folds” - and the thing with having different modes in sections by adding extensions to headings, is pure genious. (I hope something happens with the new dev for FP 3.)

I currently “run my life” out of NotePlan (which is also a good app! It also works well with TaskPaper.) . But I’ve figured I can use Bike for stuff an outliner is the best at, and then link from NP to the files/lines in my Bike documents. But as I vastly prefer “library apps” (with an open folder as the library), I found out I couln’t ditch NotePlan for Bike - even though they technically do much of the same stuff for me. Also, while Bike is pretty open in its design, Markdown is just easier to interoperate with.

So, yeah, I really, really hope Hog Bay can become bigger again, so that I can spend more of my time in apps as fantastic as Bike. And I’ll try to do my part to make it happen! And I’m very excited for 2.0 (and first in line for testing!).

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: I’m not sure my particular skill set would scale to that many apps, but it’s a fun thought! I think Bike 2 is going to be pretty exciting, while at the same time late as usual. I’m working on it, it will get done, but it’s not done yet, and I thought I would be further at this point. Type type type I go.

1 Like