Disable spell checking

It seems Bike added spell checking in a recent update. Either that or I’m misremembering.

In any case, spell checking is something that negatively affects my focus. I like to use custom abbreviations and mix my native languages. Every red squiggly underline pulls my eyes away from my current train of thought. Usually, I disable spell checking on a per-application basis, leaving it enabled at the OS level so that spell checking still applies to messages and emails.

Unfortunately, I can’t find a way to disable it in Bike. May I propose making this an option?

(I’m genuinely curious if I’m misremembering. Maybe it’s been like this all along?)

See settings under:

Edit > Checking > Show Checking ...

Thanks! Never would’ve occured to me look there :man_facepalming:

You are the second to report this… what specifically tripped you up? Was it the term “Checking” in the menu item or were you not looking in the menu items?

In standard macOS I think the standard place to turn on/off spelling is in a menu item at the same location as my “Checking” except it’s called “Spelling and Grammar”.

The reason that I used a different label is because my “Checking” menu is replacing/combining the normal “Spelling and Grammar” and “Substitutions” menu items. And the reason that I’m doing that is because I find it much easier to have a single UI where I can configure all those settings instead of having to keep diving back into those menu hierarchies for each change that I need to make.

Anyway if you have thoughts how the past you could have found these settings easier let me know.

I’m afraid it was indeed the non-standard ‘Checking’ that misled me. I didn’t think to click on the submenu item ‘Show Checking’ because I assumed it would take me to an overview of words flagged by the spell checker, which wasn’t what I was interested in.

Instead, macOS has kind of conditioned me to menu-dive for Edit > Spelling and Grammar > ✓ Show Spelling and Grammar.

I agree your way is more efficient though – if you can find it, that is. Past me would have found it if had been provided under a different name, e.g. something like Spelling and Grammar > Show Checking Results and Settings.

I’m going to try adding an extra label like this:

1 Like

Very nice! That should do it, I think.

1 Like

I had the same problem. I understand your explanation, but I think spell check will still be hard to find for most users. Every MacOS instace of spellchecking I am familiar with is present in one of three places:

1. Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling as You Type (e.g., BBEdit)
  2. Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing (e.g., TextEdit)
  3. Tools > Spelling and Grammar > Hide Spelling Errors (e.g., Microsoft Word (or in the application’s Preferences window)

If it’s not under Edit > Spelling…, then it’s not where it’s most expected to be. OTOH Jesse, your apps tend to be the exception to “if it’s not what I’m used to, then it’s wrong”.

I just spent ten minutes trying to disable spell check. I’m used to finding this option under Edit > Spelling, or in the cmd+comma settings. BUT, I actually did go straight to “edit > checking” and saw the hint text about spelling etc. But clicking it didn’t seem to do anything except open… I’m honestly not even sure what it opens at the bottom of the screen? I totally missed the gear icon in that pane that opens up. Ten minutes later and a forum search and I can finally get rid of the red lines! I often type jargon, shorthand, and psuedocode; almost never find spell check of any kind useful.

(fwiw this is the only hiccup I’ve had trying this app out!)

1 Like

Just in case anyone comes to this thread later on.

The User Guide (⌘?) ( Bike > Help > Bike User Guide ) is always the quickest place to start:

Bike User Guide – (⌘?) – Text Checking

Gear-wheel in the checking panel:

1 Like

I’ll add a label to settings for next release:

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 9.04.27 AM

I’m not sure if this would perfectly solve the problem, but maybe it will help. I agree this UI is a bit less discoverable than macOS standard approach, but I think overall it’s better because it puts all of your text checking options in one easy to change location.

1 Like