Breadcrumb navigation?

For the new Bike app, has there been any thought given to supporting an optional breadcrumb navigation trail between documents? And a generic “Back” breadcrumb at the bottom of a page? I’ve just seen how nicely it is done in the Craft app. And of course this would imply some way to embed links to other documents (as in Obsidian’s Maps of Content). Just an idea :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, definitely something I’ve thought about (or at least navigation UI in general). There’s nothing yet, and won’t be for 1.0:

• I’m almost certain I will add some sort of navigation/indication to show when you are hoisted/focused into your outline.

• Breadcrumb navigation for navigation within a document is a possibility. I’m not sure I want this, but it’s on my mind.

• Breadcrumb navigation for navigation between documents is also a possibility, but more difficult in a number of ways… it’s not a simple fit to macOS document based app model. I think it works better in a “sandbox” style app where the app has direct access and control over all documents.

1 Like

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old topic; happy to start a new topic/thread if that’s preferred.

Any-hoo…something I find myself doing a lot is…clicking on a link to a different part of a document, and then wishing there was an easy way (shortcut key?) to get back to my original position.

My use case is mostly within a single document, although a breadcrumbs paradigm that also handled navigating back both within and across documents would be just fine and dandy too.

Also, a mechanism that worked just ONE TIME, for returning to the “most recent” point of origin (i.e., where I was before I clicked the last link) would maybe be easier than implementing breadcrumbs, or even tracking multiple positions within a document, and would cover 80% of my use case.

Thanks for listening, love Bike!

Related Posts:

1 Like

No problem, jogging my memory is never a bad idea. Unfortunately I’m not working on this for the current release, but maybe I can get it into the next. It seems like it won’t take a lot of work, but everything seems that way… and there are still so many things to do!

Thanks for reminder.

1 Like

@karlnyhus @mtb-dude Please try the latest Bike preview. I’m working on a navigation bar which I hope will cover your needs:

That is a great addition! Way to go! Thank you.

1 Like