Bike 1.4 Preview (74)

• Fixed selection drawing for RTL text
  • Fixed crash when picking right to lef (RTL) text
  • Fixed import of rich text highlights in a number of ways
  • Fixed size of text caret in empty document with no rows

To get preview releases through Bike’s software update select: Bike > Preferences > General > Include “preview” releases.

Update Oop, just found at least one major big with clicking to select text. Seems to only work for the first line in a paragraph if the paragraph has attributes. Will fix.

2 Likes

Crash when type or paste ©️ symbol.

1 Like

I’m happy to report that this one at least doesn’t seem to be in my own code logic, but when I call into an Apple framework… but why in the world would it be crashing in that case I still don’t know.

The U+24B8 Ⓒ CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER seems to be a non-crashing substitute.

I don’t know if it would be feasible to trap input of the (c)ulprit and substitute the circled capital, for the moment ?

Thanks for your follow-up, U+24B8 did solve my problem for now.
Meanwhile, I have found something new.
When Chinese characters appear in a long paragraph, such as “漢字”, the cursor will behave strangely from the beginning of the next line to the end of the paragraph, and I can’t use the arrow keys to go up.

I haven’t yet managed to reproduce that here – a least not with 国标 characters in longish paragraphs intermingled with roman characters.

Are your 漢字 interleaved with something like kana ?

Could you show us a sample of some paragraphs that reproduce the issue ?

There must in one row. And I can reproduce the issue in any paragraphs, even our discussing text.

For example, in this row, I can’t select the third and fourth line with the mouse, and the arrow keys can’ t go up after “国标”.

2 Likes

I think this is the same bug as mentioned in top post. If there are multiple formatting runs (from attributes, or different fonts) than text picking will break in latest release. To support RTL text selection I now return multiple rects for each line and the picking code wasn’t updated to handle this.

2 Likes

I thought if you had a link in the clipboard, and then you selected some text in Bike and did a paste, that it was supposed to create a link with the selected text as the display text and the clipboard as the actual link. Now when I paste over selected text, the selected text changes to display the link itself as well as creating the link. Was this an intentional change? I liked the previous behavior. Thanks!

Yes, that’s the way it’s supposed to work. And it seems to still be working this way for plain text links copied to the clipboard.

But looks like the work that I did to support pasting of rich text links broke that behavior. I will fix for next release.

Edit Also note that in recent release I disable this behavior if your outline is stored in a format that doesn’t support text attributes… but I expect that’s not the issue in this case.

1 Like

Ah, good to know! But no, I am only using .bike format.

Sometimes the cursor disappears while editing a bike doc. I haven’t been able to detect a pattern as to when/why, but it’s been happening one or more times a day. Quit and restart temporarily fixes this.

1 Like

Yeah this has been an issue over the previews … good news is I “think” I found and fixed this earlier today. Hope to release a new preview later today.

2 Likes

New release I think fixes all issues in this thread: Bike 1.4 Preview (75)