Bike 1.12 (135)

I have just now jumped onto the preview and I love the defaults in 132, the arrows where a wonderful suprose and I liked them straight away.

At the moment I am using Bike for fast notes and outline ideas and then moving into Ullysses for writing, although I keep thinking I should use Obsidian, but they need to sort out OPML support, to much spacing, and I am really liking the Ullysses writing checker stuff these days, feels like that what i kinda pay for :man_shrugging:.

My wish is that I would really like Bike to get a schedule function like folding text, as I often use this to run class sessions and timings

I do think this will eventually be possible, but will be a while still. I would like this sort of feature to happen via in-app scripts/plugins. So need to build that system first.

1 Like

Well this release has been dragging, but I think over the hump now.

The big ā€œfeatureā€ holding things back is the license renewal system. Not an exciting feature exactly, but a necessary feature to make Bike sustainable so it can still around for the long term. I thought I was going to get it working one way, tried that for a long time, then changed course. I think itā€™s working now, but itā€™s not all that well tested.

If you are willing please try out the renewal system and let me know how it goes. This coupon will give you an extra 50% off: ########. I will disable this code after getting a few orders through, so use it now if you want to use it.

Few things to pay attention too:

1. Are you asked to renew? You should asked if you got your license prior to today - 1 year.
  2. Go to the Settings > License panel. Does the reported ā€œunlocks releases untilā€ date seem right? Should be the day you got your license + 1 year.
  3. Also is the text in those dialogues clear to you?
  4. If you decide to renew use the coupon above and let me know how it goes. Generally the ā€œunlocks releases untilā€ date should change to today + 1 year.

Renew checks happen on app startup. So if for some reason your order takes a long time to process and Bike canā€™t refresh status immediately, restart Bike a bit later and see if status has changed by then.

Update Iā€™ve disabled that coupon code. Thanks for everyone who tested. Seems the license renewal system is operational.

I was asked to renew, and found the whole process smooth and straightforward. I already see the updated license info (updates through June 6, 2024).

1 Like

Was easy to do. There was a little message to renew in top right part of screen in white/gray. To be honest, I was looking for something like that, but in normal circumstances I might not have noticed it. For something like a reweal probably need something ā€œless subtleā€. But the process itself worked just fine.

1 Like

I think I will leave as is. I want people to be able to use in locked state without too much distraction. The only time you really need to renew is when you want to use a locked feature, and then youā€™ll see an alert.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. So your approach is perfect then.

The process was straightforward and most of the UI copy makes sense. TBH, when you said, ā€œAre you asked to renew?ā€ I expected to get some sort of popup or something on startup. It took me a while to notice the ā€œRenew Licenseā€ in the corner. The actual re-licensing worked smoothly, no hiccups.

ā€œUnlocks releases before ā€ makes sense, but the ā€œbeforeā€ throws me a bit. ā€œuntilā€ conveys that itā€™s more of an end date, imo.

1 Like

I started with ā€œUntilā€, and might go back to it. The reason that I changed is because until seemed like it might be read as ā€œeverything is locked, old and new releaseā€ after that date.

I changed the display to a range in the latest release:

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 7.30.00 AM

I think that makes things a lot clearer, what the licenses capabilities are. If anyoneā€™s got a better term for ā€œDawn of Timeā€ Iā€™m open to suggestions. I wanted to get the point across that ALL previous releases. Dawn of Time is a cute way to do that, but if there was a simpler term or symbol that might be better.

I also did now show appā€™s build date in the case where the licenseā€™s date range doesnā€™t cover the current release. And I also add progress spinner when unlocking.

Iā€™ve submitted this version to Apple, I need to update some docs and screenshots, but hope to get this version out the door in next few days.

1 Like

This should show up as non-preview release now.