• Allow tabbed Bike windows, support Window > Merge All Windows
  • Update preferences window
    • Split into multiple panes
    • Move license into preference pane
    • Require a license to set most editor preferences

43:

• Fixed crash when showing preferences windows on macOS 11

The 1.0 release is close. Two things still to be done are:

1. I’d like some basic AppleScript support. Not so much as a final scripting solution, but as a signal that scripting is important to Bike, so want basic support in 1.0. I’m busy now trying to re-remember how AppleScript works, and figure out what the minimum is that I can add while still being useful.

2. Need to write and test App Store in app purchases

I’m just headed out the door, hope I didn’t break anything. Will be back for work Monday.

Download Bike:

2 Likes

42 seems unable to open Preferences on this system (macOS 11.6.5)

Expand disclosure triangle to view crash report
Process:               Bike [53837]
Path:                  /Applications/Bike.app/Contents/MacOS/Bike
Identifier:            com.hogbaysoftware.Bike
Version:               1.0 Preview (42)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Bike [53837]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2022-04-22 21:46:27.406 +0100
OS Version:            macOS 11.6.5 (20G527)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        E45179DE-1B85-C265-98DA-011B593F8AD9

Sleep/Wake UUID:       30220C7C-2D7A-40B2-8E9E-12FD43E6948B

Time Awake Since Boot: 330000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       4300 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [53837]

Application Specific Information:
Performing @selector(showPreferencesWindow:) from sender NSMenuItem 0x600002460bd0

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.hogbaysoftware.Bike       	0x00000001032fa95a 0x1032e5000 + 88410
1   com.hogbaysoftware.Bike       	0x00000001032fa3d4 0x1032e5000 + 86996
2   com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff231eb420 -[NSClassSwapper initWithCoder:] + 1143
3   com.apple.UIFoundation        	0x00007fff23f3808e UINibDecoderDecodeObjectForValue + 707
4   com.apple.UIFoundation        	0x00007fff23f37dbe -[UINibDecoder decodeObjectForKey:] + 244

Reverting to 40 here seems to fix it:

1 Like

FYI—Not reproducible on macOS 12.3.1 (21E258).

1 Like

Thanks, sounds like my first reason to upgrade the OS : -)

1 Like

Thanks, I was using macOS symbol graphic that wasn’t available, should be fixed in 43.

2 Likes

Working well here – thank you.

(And FWIW I am finding the animations really good for relaxed thinking and drafting. Have no idea how that works, but it seems to. In Preferences, animations are on and back at 1.0 speed, after running them faster for a while. It’s such a good and interesting innovation. Would never have thought of it myself).

2 Likes

Um… I hope I’m not missing something, but should the tabs simply be replicating each others’ content? That is, I have two tabs open, and type a few lines in Tab 1; these lines are replicated, identically, in Tab 2. Shouldn’t they be independent of each other?!

(Even tearing the tab off to a new window sees input mirrored in the original window.)

That might need some expansion – how did you get there ?

We can indeed have more than one window open for the same file, if we want to (File > New Window), and each of those can be gathered to a distinct tab with Window > Merge All Windows.

File > New Tab is a shortcut for that process. It creates a new Window, in a new Tab, for the current file.

But when you want tabs for different files, you can for example:

• Create a new file and tab by clicking + to the right of the tab bar, followed by Save As, or
  • start with two different open files as free floating windows, and then use Window > Merge All Windows

Ah, I hadn’t used that ‘+’ button — I’ve been using the Shift+Cmd+N shortcut (File > New Tab).

Using the ‘+’ button gives the result I’d expect (two independent tabs); using the shortcut gives a mirror of the tab that’s at front when the shortcut is executed. :thinking:

Thanks for clarifying, @complexpoint. I’m not sure why I’d want to mirror content across two distinct windows, then merge them. Because, again, when merged… I have two identical tabs, no? Have you found a use for this?

It’s not a shortcut for the same thing.

The following pair:

• File > New Window
  • File > New Tab

are siblings. They both expand the GUI interaction with the current file, giving it either:

• an additional window that is free-floating, or
  • an additional window that is tabbed.

Having two different windows (tabbed or floating), into the same file, becomes very useful when the file is large, and you want to move back and forth between different views and/or parts of it.

Ah! :bulb: I get it, @complexpoint, thanks. Again, it’s a mental model of how this works… It hadn’t occurred to me that these are intended to be interactions with the current file. I’m used to a tab being independent (code editing software, for example)… So, the ‘+’ button is really an approximation of File > New, the window of which can then be merged into the one window.

1 Like

Exactly.

New files are started with either:

• File > New     ( → floating window )
  • tab bar +            ( → tabbed window )
2 Likes