TaskPaper 3.0 Preview (162)

Huge improvements in this version! Thanks Jesse!

Hi Jesse,

TaskPaper 3 looks great so far. Some things that came to my mind while using it:

• Like @JonL, Iā€™d like to see support for margin-top/bottom to make my lists more legible.
  • Iā€™d like to be able to use the tasksā€™ dashes as a drag-and-drop handle.
  • Couldnā€™t you use arrows for all move actions? On German keyboards, square brackets are on Alt+5 and Alt+6. This means Cmd+Alt+5/6 are interpreted as ā€œLine Left/Rightā€ instead of ā€œLine Up/Downā€, which cannot be called at all.
  • I like Listacularā€™s @remind tag which works just like the @due tag, but triggers notifications - is there any chance that some kind of notification support / Reminders sync is coming?

Love this update !

I am still wondering what the ā€œHomeā€ is about. Is it still necessary ?
Can we have more than one ā€œHomeā€ thing ? Because each project are still put inside the ā€œHomeā€ in the sidebar.
Or can we open more than one file at the time ?

If someone can explain it to me :slight_smile: Thanks.

This isnā€™t possible right now. The implementation for those dashes is a little odd (Iā€™m inserting an Attachment so I have more control over spacing and size) and so right now it not themeable.

Sorry also not themeable.

Itā€™s the ā€œrootā€ of your outline and you need it so that you can click on it to see everyone after youā€™ve focused into a specific project. For example in the example Welcome document:

1. In the sidebar select the ā€œWelcomeā€ project.

2. The text view updates to only show that project, hiding all the other projects.

3. To get back to the view where you can see and edit all projects you need to select ā€œHomeā€.

This has always been a source of confusion when doing plain text outlines with items that have bullets. Iā€™m not sure there is any perfect answer, but itā€™s why I draw the (default blue) vertical outline guides in TaskPaper 3. They always show where outline structures are.

I think once I figure out how to handle case 3 (a standard for supporting and querying a list of items in an attribute value) then I can probably map both @person(jim) @person(bill) and @person(jim, bill) to the same underlying representation making them equivalent. Then we get backward backward compatibility with the new model.

I understand the ā€œHomeā€ now. Thanks.

But i do not still understand why putting it in the sidebar. A button in the header as ā€œShow allā€ will do it.
Because having it in the sidebar confuse me than i can add more of them. So every project is indented.

Well, you did a great job so far and i know you will make a great product so i am not really scared.

As long as generic dashes and the sidebar will be theme-able in the future, then I am happy. Patience is a virtue, right? :smile:

Iā€™m certain that initial dashes will be theme-able, a little less certain on how to handle the sidebar. Certainly possible, but what sorts of things do you want to customize? Now OS X sidebars have a particular style (the blur background)ā€¦ I think they also support a dark variant. Is that what you want? Or I guess please let me know what attributes you want to change.

@jessegrosjean ā€” The main elements of the sidebar that Iā€™d like to theme are the background color and the text color. If I canā€™t theme them independently, then it would be great if they used the same colors as the main document.

Iā€™d also like to be able to bold the active project in the sidebar, as you can see in TP2 (note how Daily is bold in the left window in my screenshot, but isnā€™t in TP3).

Iā€™ve made a quick screenshot showing how TP2 looks next to TP3. Basically, I want to make TP3 look like I have themed TP2.

Quick theme question: How do I add a line under the projects, like I have in TP2? I havenā€™t customized TP2ā€™s theme in a while, so I am rusty. :smile:

Thanks again,

Jim

Sorry not possible at the moment. I expect to add that option again, but havenā€™t implemented anything yet.

I may have missed a post on this but is there a way to get the check boxes back for tasks? Is that something I can change in the new theme?

Not right now, though I do hope to get some sort of option for bringing back the checkboxes.

I am convinced that they are not the best default, so I removed them and replaced them with the more generic dash. But I still liked them and am trying to decide how best to add them back.

Thanks for the reply Jesse. I enjoy having them, but they are by no means essential.

@jessegrosjean is it already possible in TP3 to add a line under the projects (or change margin/padding)?

Yes to margin/padding, no to underline. Adding more visual styling is on my list, but not sure when Iā€™ll get to it.

Hereā€™s a rule demonstrating spacing properties that you can change at there default values:

item[data-type=project] {
  line-height-multiple: 1.3;
  paragraph-spacing-before: 0;
  paragraph-spacing-after: 0;
}

Awesome! Less interested in the line, more the padding, didnā€™t know the right CSS/selectors - any reference on those? (itā€™s no standard CSS right?)

Right, TaskPaper styling works like CSS in some respects, but itā€™s a completely different DOM model with a more limited set of attributes:

Getting Started:
https://guide.taskpaper.com/customizing-taskpaper/creating-stylesheets.html

Reference:
https://guide.taskpaper.com/reference/stylesheets/