Change font on sidebar

Hi, I’m wondering how to change the font on the sidebar to reflect the size of the font of the listed tasks? Is this possible? Thanks!

It’s not possible to change the sidebar font right now.

With that said I’m just now working on a update to the preview release that will respect System Preferences > General > Sidebar Icon Size setting. That will allow you to change the sidebar font using Small, Medium, and Large options.

I’ve just posted a new preview release that adds this feature:

AAaaaaah, pleaaase … noooo… :wink:

respect System Preferences

Please revert this or make it at least optional. I do not agree on that the sidebar in TaskPaper should be inherit anything from the Finder. The individual purposes are not comparable in any way.

Finder: content rarely changes, so there is nothing to ‘read’, it is rather ‘recognising’ . I can point and click most of the entries with squinted eyes, I do know them by heart. Plus: you only have to click on the row, there are no tiny triangles the need to be hit. If you have multiple Finder windows open, all show the same sidebar, but to minimize redundancy you can make it smaller.

Taskpaper: the sidebar ist something you actively work with – almost equally to the editor. Find an entry, expand it, find another, expand it also. Editor font size can be adjusted easily, sidebar not at all.

As a user I want my Finder sidebar to be small. I do not want my TP sidebar to be small and I really do not want to adjust my TP sidebar font size in System preferences. Now my TP sidebar font is even smaller than the one in the editor. Please undo, make it optional or better: make it adjustable or a setting.

Nils

While I sincerely appreciate the adjustment made for people like me, I feel guilty for people like nilsw who now has to suffer for my benefit. I feel this setting should be made independent of how the aesthetics of the macOS is set, except perhaps it reflecting the font name itself, i.e. San Francisco. But if we’re allowed to change the size of the font of the editor, then the sidebar should be made to reflect the size of the editor if not be changed independently of any other setting.

2 Likes

I’ll get this into next preview!

I’ve just posted a new update… TaskPaper has a preference now for if sidebar should follow system preferences sidebar font size:

Is there a way to change the font size in the sidebar?

Sorry for late reply, but it should work as described above:

1. Make sure TaskPaper Preferences > Sidebar > Follow System Preferences is checked (restart TaskPaper after change)
  2. In macOS General Preferences change the “Sidebar icon size” popup.

Hi, totally agree with nilsw. Just bought taskpaper now in 2023-12, but I got second thoughts when I saw the tiny sidebar. However - not a dealbreaker. Have now fiddled around with css, but not possible. Adjusting the system prefs did not make much difference, because the default font in the sidebar looks and feels smaller than the default font in the finder. Even the large setting is way too small, and I am totally happy with my mac settings. Finder almost looks to big now. I really want finder to be default. For the sidebar system setting to work the default font size in TP must be increased - by a lot. I have incrased the default font in the main editor by 5-steps to get “my normal”. I use Visual Studio Code a lot at work, and there the zoom follows consistent all over, also to the sidebar. TaskPaper is such a great peace of software in all other aspects. Fixing a bigger font would make a huge difference, even now in 2023 and forward. Please forget about the system prefs altogether. Just discovered that this impacted the mailboxes as well. Far too big now. And the size is way larger than in TP. So I had to go back to normal setting for the mac prefs.

My suggestions in order (not a comprehensive and definite analysis)

1. Make the sidebar zoom with the editor, like VS Code
  2. Or make the sidebar font size editable in CSS. Maybe as good as nr.1.
  3. Or what about a setting in the app preference? Also a good option.
    Least preferred / fixing a not-so-useful setting
  4. Or at least make the default font bigger, so that the system preferences at least matches the finder. But it should be much bigger than finder in my opinion, for non-static content. Maybe scale them as well, so that the steps are even bigger between medium and large.

But hey…thanks for a great peace of software! Because it is. With or without this font thing. So hope I did not bring any discouragement to the table :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really appreciate that attitude. I stopped contributing in the Bike program for that reason. It is an amazing piece of software with or without my suggestions and I don’t want to “bring discouragement to the table.” I am going to implement that rule at my dinner table at home :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for highlighting… I lost track of the first comment.

And thanks to you both. Also comments and requests are always appreciated, I just have to say no to the vast majority due to time and design constraints, but they do percolate in my head and sometimes eventually make it in.

Also with TaskPaper… I’m unlikely to make any changes myself. On the other hand if you are looking for an adventure I have made TaskPaper source code available to TaskPaper users. Please see:

Superb! Thank you. I believe that is called wisdom :slight_smile: and good judgement. I see that my own time is scarce as well. Trying to simplify all over, reducing ambitions.