Bike 1.13 (145)

I agree the current behavior isn’t quite right…

It shouldn’t apply strikethrough to the entire hierarchy. Instead it should just apply to the text directly associated with that list item. The problem is I’m sorta following markdown and individual list items are a container type that can have multiple associated lines. So for example:

In markdown we can have this:

- List item
  With associated line  
  - And Child list litem

which becomes:

• List item
    With associated line
    • And Child list litem

In that case it kinda makes sense to me that “With associated line” would also get the strikethrough formatting, but “And child list item” would not. At the same time that gets a bit complicated to implement and explain.

Another thought, maybe the strikethrough formatting is redundant. We already have the visible checkbox state. Later on when I open up the style engine people could add back strikethrough, but I’m now thinking it’s a bit much for a default.

Thoughts?

The latest release makes setting row types much quicker. Use Command-K to show the formatting pallet, and then the down arrow to open the popup. And yes on the code block icon, I’ve removed that in the latest release.

I’m now implementing type completions also, so you’ll be able to type --- and it will become a horizontal rule.

1 Like

Yeah, this bothers me too. I’m using Apple’s symbols library, and this is coming for “free” from that. I think there’s a way I can disable, just haven’t got to it yet.

1 Like

That sounds good – I had already found myself reaching for an interim Keyboard Maestro macro for expanding ,,_ to a new horizontal rule :slight_smile:

(--- is clearly better)

1 Like

change current row to horizontal rule

This, indeed, was my first thought when seeing the new strikethrough behavior: I wondered what was the point of a strike-through when I already could plainly see a check box ticked. The strikethrough is redundant.

I tend to use strike through when I’m thinking about deleting some text, but remain unsure so I want the strikethrough to represent something I’m thinking about deleting, but just want it to hang around while I cogitate a bit more.

Perhaps stylesheets (or in the meanwhile, scripts) are the really the right place for decorating data-done status with a strikethough ?

On a minor note about the existing implementation (strikethrough toggles with checked / data-done status), the strikethrough toggling seems to stop after a save and reopen

(i.e. if a document is opened with some existing done task items, their checkbox status can still be toggled clear, but the strikethrough seems to remain – beyond the scope of Format > Clear Formatting – even if the checkbox is cleared).

(macOS 13.4.1, Bike 1.13 Preview 138)

is normal that (138) links blue color disappears and they are no more clickable?

I wonder if we are half way through the transition announced here:

( Links with both a title and a URL are still blue and clickable, but it looks as if automatic promotion of xyz@xyz.com and other link-like patterns has been switched off, for the moment.

I can’t see a preferences option yet, but it sounds like one is planned)

In the meanwhile, you can still manually promote link-patterned strings with Format > Edit Link ... etc

I am not getting the outline structure menu anymore ? If I manually go into a outline the name will appear in the bar but doesnt stick? - also something weird happened when I collapased all the outline then only had one selectable thing

Ooops, I see that I recently broke that. Fixed for next release.

2 Likes

Link detection is now an optional setting. It should be one by default, but I guess that’s not true if you’ve already run Bike. Anyway there is a preference for this now:

Edit > Checking > Show Checking > Preferences > Detect Links

1 Like

I think this is a bug in styles that I haven’t had a chance to look into. It should fix self if you either resize window or have window go out of focus. So visual bug I think.

1 Like

I cant get Row type replacements to work ? ( I maybe doing something wrong)

but the outline menu thing is fixed :slight_smile:

Assuming there’s not some bigger bug you need:

1. To be working in a file format that supports them, so .bike or .opml. (not plain text)
  2. To have the Text Checking > Settings > Row type replacements setting checked

This setup seems to be working for me.

1 Like

it was off for me - thanks - I wouldnt mind those settings being inside settings as well perhaps - I always forget they are there - that also might just be me

2 Likes

I like this table of replacements !

Prefix then space Row Type
# Heading
> Blockquote
``` Code Block
: Note
[] or -[] Task List
- or * or + Unordered List
1. Ordered List
--- Horizontal Rule

Am I right in thinking that --- and ``` are not affected by the check box state of
Row type replacements ?

(They always seem to expand, and I think that may have initially delayed my discovery of the Edit > Checking > Show Checking setting below – an impression that some expansions were already firing, but others not yet )

UPDATE

In more recent builds (140+) checking settings (including smart row types) have been made more easily accessible. You can now get to them either through

1. Bike > Settings > Autocorrect, or
  2. In the Bike > Edit menu (Edit > Checking, and Edit Substitutions)

(See Help > Release Notes)

Hum… I don’t think so. It should be that if “Row type replacements” is checked then all type expansions should work. And if it is not checked then none should work. Are you sure you are seeing them expand and that checkbox not set?

Forgive me … I’m tripping myself up here and wasting your time – it turned out to be something I had set in Keyboard Maestro …

All of your Bike Row Type expansions are indeed switched by the Row type replacements option

mea culpa

Forgiven! :slight_smile:

Did you have to row type replacements on … or was it on by default. It was supposed to be on by default, but reading @adamprocter’s comments I think maybe that’s not working.