Bike 1.13 (145)

This is shaping up to be a great release!

Since you asked for any outstanding bugs, I did notice that pasting plain multi-line code or text into a code block keeps the first line as code but makes the rest of the lines formatted as regular text. For example, pasting the following lines into a code block

line 1
line 2
line 3

looks like this:

1 Like

@ChrisW I think what I see is correct.

I’m assuming the text caret was at the end of line 2024 when you pressed return. “xxx” is double indented, but the reason for that is that 2024 already had a child that was double indented (that blank line following “xxx”. So the inserted “xxx” line is double indented correctly to match the double indent of 2024’s first child, which is the blank line.

Hope that makes sense.

It does, if I roll everything up before starting a new line. But if I just hit a return, then shift-tab back to the left, type something, then hit return, the caret goes to the last indentation. Don’t think we want that.
Is that reproducable?

Sorry, it’s hard for me to follow the exact actions you are doing. I’ve take a screencast of what I think you are doing. (zipped because I can’t attach .mov to posts I guess):

ScreenFlow.mp4.zip (110.5 KB)

In this case I have typed “EMPTY” into the empty line just so that it’s more visible, but that shouldn’t effect the behavior. I would agree that this is a weird case, but what I see in this video is still “correct” I think.

You’ve got it, and I think I do. But I’m not sure I’d explain it the way you did. In my case, there were a bunch of “empty” lines that were delineated by the faint “margins” that I was ignoring. When I shift-tabbed to the left, those faint lines are still there and a return moves the caret to highest line. The solution, for me, is to make sure I clean out empty lines. Thanks.

Assuming it goes through Apple review, and no big bugs show up, I’ll post 1.13 final release on Monday. I have just posted 145 with a few more tweaks.

5 Likes

Quick question – did highlighting some text and then pasting a link used to turn that text into a hyperlink? In the latest release it now replaces the highlighted text with the text of the link, and I could have sworn it had the other behavior previously, but I’m not fully sure…

I did, and for me at least that feature still seems to be working. I just copied the URL to this post from Safari and pasted it over some selected text in Bike, and it created linked text.

Does it never work for you? Or maybe just in a specific situation?

To try from a clean slate I closed and re-opened Bike and it looks like I can still reproduce it. Here’s a screen recording (dropbox link) of me typing some text, selecting a word, then ⌘+V’ing over it with a link in my clipboard.

If I notice it suceeding in some circumstances but not others I’ll report back! This is on build 145, running macOS Ventura 13.4.1 on a mid-2019 MacBook Pro.

Will try a restart shortly in case there’s something state-dependent going on and that helps debug it. [edit: pasting a link still behaves the same way; sorry that was not more of a help! happy to check any other conditions; just let me know]

Update: I noticed that if I highlight a link inside Bike and copy it, I can highlight some other text and paste the link over the existing text succesfully – it’s only when I copy a URL from Chrome or a text editor that pasting replaces the highlight.

It still seems to be working for me. Is anyone else seeing problems?

One thought… it will only work in .bike documents. If you have a .txt or .opml document it will not work, since Bike can’t store link attributres in those formats.

(In your example the document is untitled. But if Settings > Document > New is set to “Plain Text” or OPML it also isn’t expected to work.)

1 Like

Pasting a url onto selected text is working well here.

macOS 13.5
Bike 1.13 (145)

1 Like

Just wanted to say how much I admire how well this app is evolving. Bike has gone way past Acta, and that’s a good thing. I particularly appreciate the new (to my eye) array of copy options under the edit menu.

1 Like

It does happen in .bike files – I just replicated the issue in a file named Workspace.bike which is definitely in Bike’s native format. I can tell since the file contents are html, eg.

<li id="P8" data-type="heading">
        <p>Workspace</p>
      </li>

I was curious if this was particular to my specifc Bike installation so I downloaded the most recent version from the website, which turned out be Bike 1.12, and in which pasting links onto text works – so this seems like a change since then.

If you would like, I can test the intermediate builds between 1.12 and 1.13 to narrow down when the behavior changed, if you happen to have a list of links to those builds handy.

No, I think better is for me to figure out how to replicate… and I think I’ve just done it. Let’s make sure that you see the same behavior that I’m seeing.

1. For me it always works correctly when copy paste from safari address bar (of course that’s where I always test from)

2. But it doesn’t appear to be working when URL is from most other places. For example if I copy URL text from Bike, it doesn’t work.

Is that the behavior that you are also seeing… always works from Safari Address bar, but not most other sources?

1 Like

Yes, that’s right. I just tried Safari and it does work from there for me too (I usually use Chrome).

Depends on presence of a public.url (rather than, e.g. public.utf8-plain-text) pasteboard item ?

Thanks, I’ll get this fixed soon.

1 Like

I think pasting links is working again in all cases in latest preview release:

2 Likes

Noticed a minor display bug in the blockquote row type; if you have multiple rows of blockquote type, there is some flashing in the area in between the two bars.

:tada: :tada: i can confirm it’s fixed in the newest preview release – thank you!

2 Likes