TaskPaper 3.3 Preview (216)

This may not really address your concern, but I find the command-L shortcut for “go to project” incredibly useful for going in/out of various project or sub-project views. I hide the sidebar, and simply use command-L to quickly navigate to the relevant project, or sub-project, I want to view. Then using the new fold/unfold options such as collapse and expand by level work beautifully for me.

I definitely see how that’s problematic, but it can be easily changed in next release. In future I’ll make it so that expand by level doesn’t explicitly expand the focus item, since it’s already implicitly expanded as a result of being the focus item. I think that makes a lot of sense, just not something that I’d thought of.

Fantastic. I’ll look forward to it!

Jesse: Okay, now I see the difference between 3.3 and 3.2.1. Here’s what my theme looks like on 3.2.1 (notice all circles are solid)

Here’s my view with the 3.3 preview 316 version using the same theme:

Notice the circles without subitems, or that are expanded, no have zero fill. Whereas above they have light blue fill. Not sure what is causing this.

This is intentional, I changed the default style for items that aren’t hiding any children. You could override in your theme to get the old behavior. But one reason that I did this is because handles now have three visual states:

1. Expanded – Dim empty circle
  2. Collapsed – Bright filed circle
  3. Filtered – Dim filled circle

So that (in your theme) light blue circle look will be used to indicate items that have filtered children, some showing and some hidden.

Wait … are you saying I have dim children? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I now see how it’s all working. I think I prefer the new way you’ve implemented, but not sure. Will need to live with it a few days.

I see how one could think it’s weird to have Expand All / Collapse All by Level, which aren’t toggle commands so they have to be mapped to two buttons, next to what’s essentially a toggle command like Enter Full Screen in the Finder. It’s also probably better to break up the Expand / Collapse Items for scripting purposes?

Still, I’d be happy if you really did expose the Fold function in the next release :smiley:

What’s the difference between Expand / Collapse Items and Expand / Collapse Items Completely, though?

The completely variants effect all descendent items. So if you’ve got multiple levels of items below the item that you are collapsing “Completely” will collapse them all, instead of only the item that the command is performed on.