Group command similar to TaskPaper command

Do we have a Group command ? Maybe I missed it.

No, not yet. But thanks for reminder, I’ll try to add it soon.

1 Like

Any thoughts on what should happen in this case for “Group” command:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 9.03.25 AM

I’m pretty sure the answer is this (1):

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 9.04.06 AM

The alternative would be this (2):

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 9.05.15 AM

The reason there is a question is because in Bike I’ve been pretty careful to keep text editing mode separate from outline mode. When in text editing mode commands just operate on “rows” without concern for outline structure. On the other hand when in outline mode (you get that with escape key… cursor fully selects item) commands should act on tree structure.

Group command would be an exception to this if the answer is (1) above. The only other exception that I can think of immediately is drag and drop via handle always works on outline structure.

So does it make sense for group command to always work on outline structure? Any thoughts on how to explain/mark why this command needs to be exception? Maybe I’m overthinking.

Anyway any thoughts welcome.

Edit

Same question for Duplicate command… also sorta feels like Duplicate should always work on tree structure. Maybe the answer is that the odd cases are the ones that DON’T always work on tree structure.

The odd cases are the various move commands. And the reason for that is because they all map to standard text editing commands. And the big pain point that I’m trying to avoid is when you are doing text editing and then unexpected things happen when you indent/unindent.

Anyway, that’s story in my head for moment.

1 Like

By the way, thanks for this request. Now that I’m implementing I’m finding that it’s one of those commands that makes much more sense when animated. Good demo case for Bike’s editor :slight_smile:

1 Like

(1) feels right to me.

(2) feels like a “flatten” to me.

1 Like

Thank you for considering it.

Yes, I feel the same. My option would be (1), I think.

I think it ought to be (1) — option (2) feels lossy.

agree

I think the current implementation Row > Group Rows should work like (1).