Text Block Idea

@jessegrosjean May I make a humble suggestion? I don’t know how it could be done in your code structure but it would be so nice if there was a way to either define a certain type of element - or set parameters for a section of text where that block of text was treated as rich text and was left alone from TaskPaper’s normal stylistic parameters.

This occurred to me as I am copying an article I found on a website I want to study over time. For readability I have to put spaces between paragraphs, extra spaces before headings, bold, etc. using style tags. All of this would be very useful when I have such formatting to just paste it into a container that does not affect what is put into it but instead treats it as rich text and not TaskPaper.

As it is I have to spend more time than I would like inventing paragraph tags and the like to make something I already worked on to format or to keep it in what was already formatted.

Just a suggestion, one that I hope will find some interest with others.

Thanks.

I agree that something like this would be nice sometimes, but I don’t expect to add it to TaskPaper in foreseeable future. Right now the scope of TaskPaper is a “plain text todo lists”. Extending it to include embedded rich text would fundamentally change what the program does.

[quote=“jessegrosjean, post:2, topic:2378, full:true”]
I agree that something like this would be nice sometimes, but I don’t expect to add it to TaskPaper in foreseeable future. Right now the scope of TaskPaper is a “plain text todo lists”. Extending it to include embedded rich text would fundamentally change what the program does.
[/quote] May I humbly suggest that one of the keys to using a computer generated todo list is to use active linking to not just remember to do things but to set up the list so that you can do things you planned on doing when it is time to do them.

Similarly, dragging in a screen shot or pasting in a diagram or putting in a preformed text block isn’t taking TP in another direction. As I see it, this is making it even more useful as a todo list manger. I appreciate that TP is a todo list manager and, some of us are more visual than others. Visual cues really do help some of us stay focused on complex tasks.

Update: tried it with http links for this purpose, dropping the rtf file into same folder as taskpaper file. Linked it to editorial, works quite well. Example: Login - Dropbox . Taskmator deletes the file and does not treat it as a link which may be followed.

I wonder, would a method of adding a UI for file:// and a way to keep those files/links live in dropbox when I go to taskmator or editortial work to give the capability and keep the ‘plain text’ nature? The dropbox part is to ensure the cross platform part which for me, at least, is good.

Please send me a demo dropbox account to reproduce this issue. Unable to produce this issue. Email details to taskmator@gmail.com.

Thank You!

I will try to reproduce it in a new Dropbox account-it may Be Sunday before I am able to.

Hope you can help me in producing this issue (with your demo dropbox account). As I am unable to produce this issue on my iOS devices and on simulators with my dropbox accounts. Will give my best to fix it if I am able to produce it. Thank You!

just reproduced - I will send you a taskapaper file via email with the username/password for a dropbox account and steps to reproduce.

Sorry, just sent an updated email. Catching up on this was delayed by holidays :-(.

Just to move comments into a single place (or in email and here :-/)

In Taskmator I observed being able to see the links in dropbox, I was not able to read/open them from the http link as I was able to with taskpaper. Editorial was able to read them. Personally, I am happy either way - What I found troubling was that the rtf file gets deleted by taskmator when I click on link or add to the taskmator file.

Apologies to the folks working on taskmator because I delayed them by not attaching the file :-(. In the email thread about these I included username/password and my cell phone if that would be faster.

Hi Amit, not unhappy with it at all - and appreciate all the work going into the app. Also, how incredibly responsive you have been.

Mostly I just don’t want this to cause a problem for someone else.

Here are my Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open the file on dropbox /Apps/Editorial/taskmatordemo.taskpaper
  2. double click on the link text
    checked - rtf still there
  3. Click out of text (I went up a line or two. )
  4. Click + sign - get new text - rtf deletes
    (5. use dropbox to restore from backup.)

Hi,

I just went to the directory’s Dropbox (Apps/Editorial) and it appears you did recreate it because the .rtf is deleted. You can Restore it from the Dropbox UI if you want to try and recreate it again.

Warm regards,
Michael

—original note—
Hi-Forget entirely about taskmator supporting rtf files. The issue for me is that a file, in the same directory ad the taskpaper file, gets deleted (at least for me.).

So, if I have it in Dropbox for taskpapaer (where it would be supported or would call safari or preview), I would lose the file in Dropbox.

I have not tried with other files-wil do so tomorrow night.

Happy to speak on phone if it helps. Also, happy to try it on a different iOS device.

All that said, if no one else is having the problem I am also happy to drop it for now and not use taskmator in situations that might cause the problem ( I have a theory that if I file the rtf’s or whatever in a subdirectory it will be fine.)

Hey Amit - just checking in - are you set with reproducing the issue?