Tag affects words to left only till next tag

@jessegrosjean Rumor has it you are now working on rebuilding the TaskPaper engine. If so, may I please offer a suggestion? I use tags for more than one purpose. One thing I use tags for is to add a text characteristic to a line. Examples include coloring, character size (for emphasis), and line spacing.

One thing that I cannot do now in TaskPaper but which is the point of my suggestion is to place a tag for emphasis within a text block. A current example of this is a task that has three sub sections that I want to remember are there to review and to take action on. The task already is showing up on my 1st priority search. I have it written as:

”[EXPAND THIS]: Truck Insurance paperwork to USAA for battery replacement cost with trade-in of old battery.” @-active-1st

It would be very nice if instead of writing “expand this” in all caps and bracketing it, I could just write it like this:

”[EXPAND THIS]: @focus Truck Insurance paperwork to USAA for battery replacement cost with trade-in of old battery.” @-active-1st

Right now the @-active-1st tag colors the whole line a shade of green and the @focus tag colors the whole line a shade of red. One or the other tags has to color the whole line. There is no way currently to have the line stay green only until it comes to a different tag. Then the second tag would do the same thing, color what is to the left of the tag as that tags color (red). Perhaps you could borrow from an HTML style rule where you have a beginning and and end to a style that is applied such as:

<p>This is a paragraph.</p>

I was thinking that it would be nice if you could put in a rule that had the tag effect all the line to the left of it unless or until it met a different tag. This could allow adding emphasis to words or phrases within a line such as the highlighting of a phone number in the line that I need to dial, or as shown in my previous example.

Of course, if this actually worked I would use a one character tag such as “@R” (red) so as not to interrupt the text flow too much.

Thanks.

David

Hi, I think using tags this way is probably stretching them to far. But instead I could imagine a separate highlight syntax? That would make more sense to me if I understand your request correctly.

Yes, a highlight syntax would fit the bill. Thanks.